Saturday, July 5, 2014

Mesa Verde National Park

We spent a great deal of time this year learning about the ancestral Pueblo people, aka the Anasazi. We read books, watched documentaries but with Mesa Verde "close" I wanted to bring the experience to life.

Day three was spent hiking, relaxing at the rec center and getting a feel for MVNP.

We were told in e-mail and at the time of ticket purchase that Cliff House and Balcony House may not be the best suited tours for a toddler. It left me with a few choices:

A. I could go on the tour and risk needing to turn back, knowing Athena would not be happy with this decision.

B. We could skip the tour and miss out on an experience I knew Athena had been looking forward to or

C. I could barter with Athena to come back with Jay on a longer weekend.

None of these seemed like great options but I chose option A. As a parent it has always been difficult for me to accept I can't do something and I don't like allowing my kids to get in the way of living each others lives. I had the Ergo so I bought the tickets and decided to try.

We started with the Cliff Palace tour which is the "easier" of the two "hikes." Lex wanted to walk so I went with it. She hiked the entire way. Lindsay, our guide and archeologist, said she was the first toddler he has had hike the tour. He was informative and inclusive to the youngest tour participant, Athena. He asked her to lead the group and she did. Athena takes her Jr. Ranger duties seriously;) He was great at answering her questions. It seems rare that guides have the ability to customize a tour experience for all participants. We were happy to have stumbled into his group.



Some adults are seemingly surprised children are capable of walking. At least I discovered some of the adults on the tour were impressed by their walking skills;)












The following morning we did a tour of Balcony House. The ranger, Eric, invited Athena to help him lead the hike. This hike was definitely not recommended for toddlers, alas Lex did this again and I have an ergo if I needed it;) At the start of the climb into the dwelling there is a 32 ft ladder which was exciting to Lex... At first. Being two she has missed the "do not look down memo." She asked to be put on my back but I told her no and said, "You are strong enough to do this, you are smart and know how to do this and you are brave. It is your turn to be brave. You can do this and I will do it with you. We can do the hard things together." She breezed up with no issue following. 











Most of the people on the tour thought I was crazy for doing this with two small kids alone but all seemed genuinely surprised the girls did so well and were so respectful.

Following the tour we decided to explore the Spruce Tree House which has a recreated kiva a person can explore, a mano and matate to teach how the people would grind corn and rangers to interact and educate the people in the area.

Lex was asleep on my back from a long morning of hiking so I could not go into the kiva (BOO!) and I was a little nervous about letting Athena go down without me. I trust her but I'm not always sure if rangers appreciate that trust and a few rangers were nearby. Also, while my child is generally respectful of historical sites, you never know... A sweet German woman heard us discussing this and offered to take Athena into the kiva (and take pictures.) She was kind and I was thankful for them to reach out. Athena is now insisting on learning German:)





Spruce Tree House! 



Inside the recreated Kiva





Mano and metate



A ranger specifically pulled Athena aside to teach her about where the food was prepared. This ranger was amazing. 

Where the ancestral people would have cooked their meals. 


Overall, I would rate our experience in the Cortez area as a 9 out of 10. The park rangers at MVNP are AMAZING with children. Many times while we were exploring the rangers would approach us, interact with the girls and take the time to teach. We have visited twelve national parks this year from Rocky to the Grand Canyon to Yellowstone and the Mesa Verde Rangers win the award for the BEST RANGERS. We are absolutely recommending Mesa Verde to our friends!

A note from Athena: I really like Ranger Lindsay! He is an archeologist and knows a lot about the stuff. He discovered a new cliff dwelling and said that if you throw a rock and look for it you will find an artifact before you found the rock. We tried it and found pottery and I never found the rock. I found lots of lizards too! But you can't touch them and you can't take the pottery and that makes me sad. I want to come here again this year. It is a good field trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment