Tuesday, July 8, 2014

"It is a giant hole in the ground."

We stopped for gas on the way into the Grand Canyon and while Athena was washing the windshields  a man in an RV next to us struck up a conversation that will forever be engraved in my memory. 

Him: Are you going to see the GC? 
Athena: Yeah, I'm REALLY excited! (Note: Her pallor did not match her enthusiasm.) 
Him: I'm excited! Can you believe I am 68 years old and have never been to the GC? 
Athena: Yeah. 
Him: I wanted to see it before we got to the park. 
Athena: Ummm... it is a.... can-yon. 
Him: I know I wonder when we will see it? 
Athena: You can't see it because it is a GIANT HOLE in the ground. 

Schooled by a six year old! I will never forget his face. 

We enjoyed hiking and camping at the GC, we explored the museums and visitors centers. Overall, a great experience but we needed less than five days at the park because it is a giant hole in the ground;)

Athena wanted to see the IMAX movie so she spent the money she earned on the trip to take us to the movies. (Well she paid for me, me because they let her in for free. SCORE!) 

I would rate the Grand Canyon a 5 out of 10. Maybe Mesa Verde set the bar high but the rangers were not as cool, interactive and they seemingly had little interest in teaching... and this trip was about learning through exploration. The 5 rating is based on the educational opportunities and hiking. 

We spent a night in Flagstaff... and rather than contacting ME when there was no activity at our campground, Xanterra or the rangers called Jay to find out if he had heard from us? I absolutely had cell phone service so it was frustrating when I received no call.

Gas prices were $4.79... I get it, an hour and a half from Flagstaff. 

But 40 minutes away and between the two geographical points, gas was a dollar cheaper. 

Added in after Yellowstone: It's a tourist place, no? Well, yeah. But Yellowstone was the same cost as the surrounding towns (or cheaper) and just as remote. 










Random passing by male: "Ma'am you might want to watch your kids."
Me: "They will be fine."
Him: Eye roll.

I learned at this point on the trip trusting your children is basically code for, "You are a horrible parent." 








She just might be my favorite six year old.

Athena: I like Flagstaff. I want to come back. I love the Grand canyon because it teaches us a lot about the earth and evolution. All of the different colors are formed at different times in history. All of them have different species. The movie was cool. I want to raft the canyon!

No comments:

Post a Comment