Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Downsizing

We are in the process of downsizing substantially at the moment. I know people talk about how nice it is to downsize and get rid of everything but it is a challenge.

What do we keep that is sentimental? I've decided to keep the girls coming home outfits from the hospital, one other dress and their "crib" blankets. I will keep Athena's otty, and one of Lex's stuffies.

What do we need? For some reason the notion of getting rid of all of this stuff is difficult when we are physically in a house. I feel like we have more "needs" in the house when in reality, we probably would not need them on an RV.

Should I keep the clothes Lex has not grown into yet? The girls are four years apart... Keeping clothes for four years does not seem that efficient and to be honest, I have not looked through all of the clothes we have in tubs in a year. I'm sure many outfits no longer fit and were passed by.

Do we sell or donate? I know there are a myriad of community garage sale pages on facebook and other places on the interweb but I wonder if the time is worth more than the money? I'm a huge believer in saving money... I'm also a huge believer in maintaining a balance in my life. If I'm selling various things I need to create the time to meet somewhere or be at our house while people want to meet. Part of the reason we are downsizing is because we are rarely home!

To be honest, this process sucks. I'm not a fan of it but I dislike having so much "stuff."

I watch episodes of "Hoarding: Buried Alive" for motivation.

*****To be clear, our house is not dirty or cluttered but it is a good motivational booster. :)

Now if only we can implement a program to keep things from coming into our house... Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment